Wednesday, November 28, 2012

d - Kapok trees and Tarantulas

Last night I left my boots outside, and yes, open on the top so when I went out this morning I stood and looked at them for about a minute thinking about all the jungle things that could have found a home in them over the past 8 hours or so.  A few times my hand reached into the first boot and was quickly yanked out, sweaty palmed but not in any way weather related.   I was very happy that there was no one else around!  Then I shook the boots, and shook them some more and banged them together as if I wanted to kill - and I did, if it was in there.  This sounded a bit like jungle drums, so before I could get any reaction from that - I screwed up my face really really tight and reached all three miles into that boot to feel for any furry 'thangs'.  Fortunately there was nothing, but I decided that I would rather get bitten on my foot than my hand so simply put them both on my feet.....while holding my breath at the same time.  I  wont do that again!

So, this morning, after breakfast  had in the outside lounge - there is no inside lounge :), found us on the river in the early almost cool air – looking, and finding some really interesting birds, but even better – hiking through jungle growth with so much to see in the mess of plants growing.. In one place the guide, Abel, picked up what looked like long dried beans – about a foot and a half in length, he cracked it open and offered us the white stuff that was inside – Jungle ice cream! Sure enough it was cool and sweet, but made of fibers and chewy at the same time. Interesting, to say the least.  I had seconds - and Abel said they dont come in chocolate flavor.  Ah well, cant have it all.  There are hard wood trees here that are cool... so when we get overheated from all the hiking - we simply go and hug a hardwood tree!  Its amazing!  I had been looking at some gorgeous white flowers all along the roads and rivers these past couple of days and finally found them on our hike this morning. They are a weed.  But the flower smells just like jasmine!  I carried a few of those flowers for a good long way.

There are so many types of fungus growing everywhere – from bright orange to almost see through white. Some of the fungus look simply beautiful and incredibly delicate,  are perfectly formed shapes while others just look like a mess of stuff, all happily growing wherever it can.  New trees sprout from stones, old trees and anywhere in between. In most places the jungle growth is so thick there is no ways you can see the sky and the ground is covered in a mix of old, dead trees, leaves and fruit from the plants. Sometimes it makes for slippery walking, so great concentration is necessary, but that means I can look around less, so with me its rather a slow hike with my head swinging one way and another as we go, but thats the way I like it.  Almost everywhere you look is a spiders web - some insanely big and others tight-knit with mama spider hanging out patiently right int he middle of it all.

After the bird hike this morning, we headed a bit further up the river to see the biggest Kapok Tree. Yup, it deserves upper case letters. That thing was incredible! There are all sorts of other plants and trees growing from this almost 300 year old tree and it burst through the normal jungle canopy to stand tall and very wide in a beautifully blue sky.  It really was a magnificient sight.  Abel took a photo of me next to that tree and when I looked quickly at the photos this evening, I could hardly see myself standing there - it really is an incredible tree.

After getting back to the lodge, I was going to have Spanish lessons, but was asked if I would rather go and see a giant tarantula up in the forest..... What a question!  I quickly grabbed my camera and hopped into my boots without a thought and away we went.  There are steps made so that we can get up the hills around here, but they are not steps as we know them.  They are made of wood and what does wood do in the jungle especially with a continuous flow of rotting leaves on top of it?  Yup, it creates pre-rot stage a slippery surface with moss and fungus that really dont help walking - even in boots.  So it was an interesting climb up. iIts not a good move to grab the handrail either - apparently those ants who's bite really is worse than its bark, love hanging out on those rails.  I have been told that if that ant bites you, you will be in really really bad pain for about three days.  I tried not to touch that railing. Tried, and fortunately did not meet a mean ant.   Its beautifully quiet in the forest.  There is a continual calling of hundreds of insects and birds, but somehow its still peaceful and quiet.  Anyway, the tarantula did not want to play so we will try again tomorrow.

I was on the way back to my cabin when Abel called after me and asked if I wanted to go tubing on the Napo River.  YEAH!!!!  So, off with the boots, on with the swimsuit and shorts and waterproof camera!  I had not tubed in a gazillion years and to do so in the Napo - wonderful.  And it was.  The lodge's canoe took us a good few miles up river, dropped us overboard and we gently floated downstream.  In places the water was almost whitewater and we bounced around in the tubes while being carted downriver at quite a clip.  It was lovely.  I swam separate from the tubes as well - and at one point hooked my ankles over the tube and got dragged along while floating with even my ears underwater..... its hard to explain just how free it feels here.  I know it would be different if I lived here, but boy am I enjoying it now.

And finally it was time for lunch with a view again.  I cant wait to show you the photos of this view - it really is amazing.  After lunch it was time for Spanish lessons.  I quietly groaned, I quietly bitched about having to learn and for the first few minutes I felt totally lost, again.  After about an hour I found myself writing full sentences, understanding words and that felt so good too!   Now just to remember what words mean so that I can speak it and not only write.  But I am improving and it was interesting to feel that spark of learning wake up again, to find that I was enjoying it and actually getting much of it right!

Lucia taught me for about three hours, all the while having that view of the river.  Every now and again a canoe would go by or some people would be out fishing and up would come the camera, click, click and then back to the lesson.

Tonight we went of another walk in the forest - we found three different kinds of frogs, two HUGE bull frogs, a couple of Amazonian water snakes and the biggest snail I have ever seen!  It was bigger than my hand and bright orange!  And............. we found a tarantula!  I did not get to hold this one - he ran away into his hole, but not before we got a good few photos.  Lucia was really not liking the idea of that spider and I felt her clutching the back of my shirt very tightly

The Yachana Lodge is nestled into the jungle and overlooks the Napo River.  All the roofs are thatch as well as all the railings around the lodge.  There is a pathway that connects where the canoes land to the main buildings, like the office, lounge, bar and so on, and the cabins are spread around all over the place.  I got cabin #1.  It is as far away from anything as one can get, which entails a good three minute walk, quicker at night time, to get from the main office to my cabin.  There are a good many of the staff walking to and fro almost all the time and it seems as if my guide has taken to walking me home at night.  Poor man.

The internet works when the generators are on and no one seems to know at what times the generators will come on again.  And then there is only one wire so .....well, you get the picture.  Hot water here is on tap - as much as I want..... but for now I am looking for those cold showers!  It so hot here that no menopausal hot flushes stand a chance or could even be noticed!  I am in a sweat at all times.  I wake up in the night hot despite no blankets - the fan is off because the generators apparently don't stay on at night....... so its muggy that the book I write in during the day has soft half soggy pages.  The window gauze does not keep out many insects at all and the doors - well, the kinda, sorta meet in the middle which makes for no sense to even bother locking them when I am out.  Its strange, but even though this all sounds like complaints - its not.  I find myself smiling while typing this and I really dont mind any of it at all.  A shower cools me off between walkabouts, switching off the light seems to make the bugs go away and no fan can beat the feeling of rushing down or up river in that canoe!  So.......all is good.  Muy Bueno!

So right now I am sitting here with only very weak solar powered lights behind my head, which is really not a great thing because insects ............... yes, like the light!!  I would love a glass of wine or a beer, but forgot to get one before to came home and am not going to walk there again tonight.  The crickets, frogs and a gazillion other critters are holding long conversations outside.  Hopefully they are not all plotting to snuggle up with me tonight!  Last night I had to get rid of some critters before going to sleep and one particularly large grasshopper looking thing kept finding its way back inside.........

And I am one seriously happy and lucky and fortunate and blessed and smiling lady!


Till next time
Hasta Manana
Annie


--   www.amazontravels.blogspot.com

No comments: